Our client provides risk transfer solutions to large and mid-sized corporations around the world. Its innovative, highly customized products and standard insurance covers help to make businesses more resilient, while its industry-leading claims service provides additional peace of mind. Our client serves clients from over 50 offices worldwide and is backed by strong financial strength.
About The Role
This is an underwriting and management position for someone with broad experience and established broker connections in the Canadian Commercial Casualty insurance market.
You will be managing an assigned team of underwriters as well as generating new business opportunities by leveraging broker contacts, analyzing and assessing the technical insurability in respect of exposures and coverages, reviewing cover structures, wordings and proposals and preparing quotations.
Utilizing your broad network of relationships at key broking houses, extensive knowledge of the Canadian commercial lines marketplace, and strong technical underwriting expertise in the upper middle market, large corporate primary liability risk segments, you will have a key role in the development, implementation, and successful execution of our strategic plan for Casualty in Canada. As a market facing team leader/underwriter you have a penchant for being out in the market, developing a robust pipeline of profitable growth business opportunities.
Your role will be instrumental to the successful build out of our primary General Liability platform in Canada. This will include collaborating with internal stakeholders pertaining to the development of our underwriting risk appetite, policy wordings, distribution strategy, and enabling infrastructure, all to ensure we are equipped for success.
The Key Responsibilities Will Include
Underwriting and Portfolio Management
· Building and sustaining the Canada Casualty portfolio through new business and renewal opportunities.
· Analysing and assessing risk and coverage exposures. Preparing, structuring, and negotiating quotations in accordance with guidelines, working closely with both the local team and resources elsewhere in the Group (Products/Risk Engineering /Claims Management/Actuaries) as appropriate.
· In collaboration with local Underwriting colleagues, develop and maintain a pipeline of business opportunities
· Support multiline Canada sales planning and execution with the local Sales team
· Furthermore, you may contribute to project work, work in international deal teams and accept special assignments as required.
· Represent Company via regular contact with brokers and clients involving Casualty lines of business
· Attend Company and key Industry organized events as appropriate (ie CRIMS)
Product Research, Development & Innovation
· Collaborate in the development of new product opportunities as appropriate and the adjustment of current products to meet the needs of the Canadian market as appropriate
Provide input into planning and controlling functions and contribute to the operational needs of the Team as appropriate.
· University degree or equivalent
· Proven track record of successful underwriting in General Liability, Lead Umbrella and Excess lines of large to upper middle market Canadian Corporates
· Strong technical underwriting background and customer focus mindset
· 10 + years of underwriting experience
· Successful track record in building / growing a sustainable portfolio
· Broad network of broker and client contacts
· High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently
· Well-developed interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Self-starter, ability and willingness to take the initiative in a team oriented environment
· Strong computer skills and knowledge of software applications
· Position requires a willingness to travel
About Insurance Career Network
Insurance Career Network is a recruitment firm focused exclusively on the insurance industry. Our relationships, knowledge and leading experience enable us to connect leading insurers, brokerage firm and independent adjusting firms with the most talented candidates for each role.
Since 1991, we have been building and nurturing relationships and with over 13,000 registered candidates, we can tap into our highly technical experience for our clients. Our recruiters come directly from insurance related positions and bring a wealth of knowledge to each recruitment assignment.
Register and submit your resume through this site or call Francis for more information 416 703-5120.