Agricorp is looking for an Underwriting Specialist to join the Underwriting and Account Services in the Program Delivery division.
The Underwriting Specialist is a senior technical expert who will assess and evaluate risks for complex files and determine the extent of contractual coverage, conditions and exceptions. This opportunity will focus primarily on the Grain Financial Protection program and the Beef Cattle Financial program. This position reports to the Team Leader, Underwriting Services. In this role, you will:
- Review and assess complex files to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, quality assurance standards and audit requirements
- Review and analyze financial reports and documentation related to specific programs and communicate outcomes to customers
- Provide support and guidance to the Underwriting team when dealing with complex or escalated client files while demonstrating critical, proactive and out-of-the-box thinking
- Create and maintain relationships with clients, agencies, producers and liaise with Claims Services, Finance, Quality, Customer Care Services and field staff
- Identify gaps in the underwriting process, compile reports on team quality results, and provide recommendations for improvements to leadership team
- Effectively deliver training to individuals and groups and act as a subject matter expert, coach and mentor for the Underwriting team
- Act as a subject matter expert for projects and liaise with the leadership team to assess and plan deliverables for the Underwriting team
- Collaborate with team members to ensure departmental milestones are met through goal setting and change management
- Successfully prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Job Status: Permanent Position
Location: The successful candidate must live in Ontario to perform this role
Work Status: Full-time in office, remote or hybrid work arrangements available
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field (i.e. mathematics, finance, commerce, business or agricultural sciences) or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 years’ related underwriting experience, preferably in the financial services sector or the agricultural industry
- Proven experience in coaching, mentoring or training others
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse groups, including clients, agencies, producers and other professionals
- Working knowledge of related federal and provincial agreements and legislation, such as the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), freedom of information (FIP) and marketing boards, an asset
- Training courses in risk management or underwriting an asset
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or working towards designation an asset
Analytical thinking – Interprets, links and analyses information and situations by breaking them down into component parts, and identifying patterns, connections and underlying issues
Achieving quality results – Focuses efforts on managing one’s self to achieve high quality results consistent with the organization’s standards and measures, while managing risk
Initiative – Identifies and deals with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise
Critical judgment, decision making and problem solving – Uses critical judgment to make decisions and solve problems involving varied levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk
Planning and organizing – Develops, implements, evaluates, and adjusts plans to reach goals while ensuring the optimal use of resources
As an agency of the Government of Ontario, Agricorp works with partners to contribute to a vibrant and sustainable agriculture industry. With more than 400 employees serving more than 47,000 producers province-wide, Agricorp delivers programs that help producers manage risk and remain financially secure. The agency was established in 1997 by the provincial government under the authority of the AgriCorp Act, 1996. Agricorp delivers a variety of programs and payments on behalf of the federal and provincial governments, including AgriStability, Farm Business Registration and Production Insurance. Please see the full list of programs for more information.
To apply for this position, please go to www.agricorp.com and click on current opportunities in the career section.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.